Ask for a carer’s assessment

If you care for another person, you can ask for an assessment of your needs to see if you’re eligible to receive support.

You have a legal right to an assessment even if the person you care for refuses a community care assessment or services.

It is not an assessment of your ability as a carer, it is about your needs and how to make it easier for you to care.

Pointers about carer’s assessments:

  • They are free and confidential.
  • No assumptions will be made as to whether you wish to continue to provide the amount and type of care that you have provided in the past.
  • The assessment will be as informal as possible.
  • All carers assessment applications come to York Carers Centre. The assessments are then split between ourselves and  City of York Council, who will then make contact with you.
  • You can have the assessment with, or separate from, the person you care for. You can have it in your own home, over the phone or somewhere else.

To request a Carers Assessment of Need please:

  • Contact us on 01904 715490, or
  • Download the form entitled Carers Assessment of Need  – Application Form below and send back to us

Self Assessments: 

  • If you would rather do a self assessment, please use the Carers Self Assessment Form  below.  There is a Self Assessment Guidance sheet to help.
  • Send all completed forms to us at or by free post to Freepost NEA 9363, York Carers Centre, 17 Priory Street, York, YO1 6ET.

Which have produced a helpful guide about carer’s assessments which can be found on the Which website.