Ask for a carer’s assessment
If you care for another person, you can ask for an assessment of your needs to see if you’re eligible to receive support.
You have a legal right to an assessment even if the person you care for refuses a community care assessment or services.
It is not an assessment of your ability as a carer, it is about your needs and how to make it easier for you to care.
Pointers about carer’s assessments:
- They are free and confidential.
- No assumptions will be made as to whether you wish to continue to provide the amount and type of care that you have provided in the past.
- The assessment will be as informal as possible.
- All carers assessment applications come to York Carers Centre. The assessments are then split between ourselves and City of York Council, who will then make contact with you.
- You can have the assessment with, or separate from, the person you care for. You can have it in your own home, over the phone or somewhere else.
To request a Carers Assessment of Need please:
- Contact us on 01904 715490, or
- Download the form entitled Carers Assessment of Need – Application Form below and send back to us
- If you would rather do a self assessment, please use the Carers Self Assessment Form below. There is a Self Assessment Guidance sheet to help.
- Send all completed forms to us at email@example.com or by free post to Freepost NEA 9363, York Carers Centre, 17 Priory Street, York, YO1 6ET.
Which have produced a helpful guide about carer’s assessments which can be found on the Which website.
|Carers Assessment of Need – APPLICATION FORM (download and return this form to us)||27/05/2021||518.4 KB||Download|
|Carers Assessment of Need – FACTSHEET||23/06/2021||238.78 KB||Download|
|Self-Assessment Form||26/01/2021||75.36 KB||Download|
|Self-Assessment Guidance||23/06/2021||283.33 KB||Download|