Thinking about care homes or home care?

When you’re thinking about a loved one moving into a care home or arranging care at home, it can bring up a range of feelings and challenges.

There are not only practical and financial issues to consider, but also the emotional impact it can have. Many carers tell us about feelings of loss and guilt, as well as not knowing where to turn for information.

Top tips for getting started:  

  •  Ask for a social care assessment and financial assessment for the person you care for. You can contact the Adult Social Care Community Team, at City of York Council on 01904 555111, or, view further information here.


  • Get advice about wills and power of attorney. Many solicitors provide free initial advice sessions including local legal firm Crombie Wilkinson or get in touch with Age UK York who have a Wills and Lasting Power of Attorney writing service. 


  • Independent Age have a selection of useful booklets and factsheets, such as: preparing for a social care assessment, how to choose a care home, and benefits, amongst many other topics. You can order them free or download here. 


  • Talk to others about your own feelings. Remember you can attend our carer hubs and support groups and speak to other carers and our staff, or you can contact us for one to one support. 


  • Speak with our Advice Worker to talk over your options. Call us on 01904 715490 to request a call back from our Advice Worker.