Young Carer Support Worker vacancy
Young Carer Support Worker
22.5 hours per week (preferably Mondays, Tuesdays and Fridays)
One year fixed term contract (with possibility of continuation dependent upon funding)
Salary: £22,627 per annum pro rata
Do you have experience of working with vulnerable young people and their families? Are you looking for a fulfilling opportunity to use this experience to support others?
York Carers Centre is an independent charity that helps unpaid carers in York find the support they need.
We are seeking to recruit an energetic, highly motivated and organised individual with experience of community outreach work to join our friendly dedicated team working with and for young carers across York.
The post holder will be expected to work flexibly directly responding to the needs of young carers, providing a range of information, advice and activities alongside regular one to one sessions supporting the most vulnerable young people. The successful applicant will be required to evidence their work through effective report writing and case management.
Alongside an excellent understanding and awareness of the needs of young carers and their families, the successful applicant will be used to liaising with voluntary and statutory agencies, including developing relationships with schools, and engaging with clients in a variety of service delivery settings.
Able to work within the boundaries of confidentiality and work effectively and engage sensitively with children and young people aged 5 to 18 years, you will have excellent communication skills with the ability to use your creativity to provide a variety of initiatives which ensure young carers have fun, develop healthy networks and develop their voice through active participation thereby effecting positive change.
Applicants should hold a professional relevant qualification (youth and community work, childcare, teaching, health or social care) and be able to demonstrate their working knowledge of National Occupational Standards for Youth Work (NOS).
The position involves working some evenings, occasional weekends and during school holidays. The Young Carer Support Worker will be required to provide transport/escort children and young people where necessary and appropriate. A full clean driving licence and access to a car for work is essential.
In order to be successful, you will need:
- Experience of providing one to one support and advocacy to vulnerable children, young people and their families.
- Experience of effectively planning, delivering and evaluating activities for vulnerable young people (preferably aged 5–18 years).
- To ensure policies, procedures and practice for safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people are implemented.
- An understanding of young carers’ needs.
- To evidence experience of working in partnership and collaboration with a variety of agencies and stakeholders.
- Experience of responding to referrals and escalating safeguarding concerns in line with policies and procedures.
- To be highly motivated with excellent organisational and time management skills.
- A professional relevant qualification (youth and community work, child care, teaching, health or social care) and be able to demonstrate a working knowledge of National Occupational Standards for Youth Work (NOS).
- To be a great team player, well organised with good recording skills and attention to detail.
- A working knowledge of the voluntary and statutory services in York (desirable).
- To be able to work flexibly to meet the needs of the service, including some evenings.
- Full clean driving licence and access to a car for work with business insurance.
We offer a supportive working environment with learning and development opportunities, 29 days holiday per year plus public holidays, reduced pro rata, and a contributory pension scheme. The post is subject to an enhanced DBS check.
Deadline date for applications: Monday 29 November 2021 at midnight.
Interviews will be held on Tuesday 7 December 2021.
To apply in the first instance please send your CV and a covering letter demonstrating how you meet the requirements of the role to Karen Weaver, HR Consultant at email@example.com
For an informal discussion please phone 01904 715490/email firstname.lastname@example.org
We are committed to equal opportunities for all and would especially welcome applications from people with BAME backgrounds.