Energy costs advice

This April’s Energy Price Cap rise will be worrying for many people. If you’re worried about paying for your energy there several steps you can take: 

1. Agree a Payment Plan 

Contact your supplier first. Under Ofgem rules your supplier must work with you to agree on a payment plan that you can afford. 

You can ask your supplier for: 

  • A review of your payments and debt repayments 
  • Payment breaks or reductions 
  • More time to pay 
  • Access to hardship funds 
  • Access to ‘emergency credit’ if you use a prepay meter and can’t top up 
  • Priority Service registration, this is a free support service if you are in a vulnerable situation. 

2. Check schemes, grants and benefits 

From energy suppliers: 

Many energy companies offer schemes or grants to help with home heating and energy costs. You don’t always have to be a customer to take advantage of these. 

Speak to Citizens Advice York to find out about schemes available from the larger suppliers, on: 0808 278 7895 or check 

From the government: 

You might qualify for the following: 

  • Winter Fuel Payment: a payment between £100 and £300 for people born on or before 26 September 1955.
  • Cold Weather Payment: a £25 payment for every 7 days of very cold weather between November and March.
  • Warm Home Discount Scheme: you might be able to get £140 off your electricity bill or a £140 voucher for your prepayment meter if you are getting either: the guarantee credit part of Pension Credit, or, on a low income. 

From City of York Council: 

  • Household Support Fund: a funding package to help vulnerable households this winter. You can find further information by calling 01904 551556 or check
  • York Fuel Voucher Scheme: if you are struggling to pay your gas and electricity bills you may be able to get a fuel voucher. Fuel vouchers are available as part of money and benefits advice across the city.
  • Home Upgrade Grants (HUG): HUG funding is available whether you own or privately rent your home, subject to the eligibility criteria. Permission will be required from your landlord if you’re in private rented accommodation. The following types of insulation are available: Loft Insulation and draught-proofing, Cavity Wall Insulation and Room in Roof Insulation for homes with attic rooms. For further information and to register your interest contact Better Homes Yorkshire on 0800 597 1500 or
  • Discretionary Adaptations Grant: If you’re a disabled person or have a long term health condition and live in a home which you own and your heating boiler is beyond economical repair, you may be able to get financial assistance to help to replace it. For further information, contact City of York Council, Housing Standards and Adaptations on 01904 552300. 

3. Information and Advice 

  • York Energy Advice offers free support on energy issues to anyone in York who is: on a low income, aged 65 or over, experiencing a long term physical or mental health condition or disability. Get in touch for: advice on managing energy bills, tips on reducing energy usage to save money on your bills, installation of energy-saving measures, and, information about other services in York e.g. debt advice, insulation grants, and more. Contact York Energy Advice on 01904 922249 or
  • Citizens Advice York will give advice if you are you struggling to pay your fuel bills or keep your house warm. See or call the Advice Line on 0808 278 7895.
  • Contact our Advice Worker, Shirley Monteith on 01904 715490 or