Carers Week 2020
Carers Week is coming up in June, an annual campaign which raises awareness of caring, highlights the challenges unpaid carers face and recognises the contribution carers make to communities throughout the UK.
It also helps people who don’t think of themselves as having caring responsibilities to identify as carers and access much-needed support.
Carers Week runs from 8 to 14 June this year and, here in York, we plan to mark the week albeit with changed plans due to social distancing guidance. We’ll be adding to this page as plans develop, and letting you know via our monthly e-news. Please let us know if you don’t receive our e-news and would like to.
The below are all available to book now, please get in touch on 01904 715 490 or firstname.lastname@example.org to book:
Information and advice:
- Legal Clinic for carers: Tuesday 9 June. Free, confidential 30 minute telephone appointments with Belinda Poulter at Crombie Wilkinson Solicitor to discuss wills, probate and power of attorney. Contact York Carers Centre to book.
- Independent Financial Advice clinic for carers: Wednesday 10 June. Free, confidential 60 minute sessions with SOLLA accredited advisor Kevin Hilton from G+E Wealth Management. Contact York Carers Centre to book.
Take time for yourself:
- Talking about loss: Monday 8 June 10.30am to 12pm on Zoom. A chance for carers to meet professionals and peers and share their experiences of bereavement, grief and loss. This could be through losing a loved one or loss of their sense of self when they became a carer and/or the loss of their caring role after losing someone. There will be a guided visualisation, taster of a technique called EFT and a brief chance to experience mindfulness.Facilitated by our staff and charity Talking About Loss. The session will be supported by staff from St Leonard’s , Dementia Forward, Alzheimer’s Society and Kyra.
- Yoga taster: Tuesday 9 June 7.30 to 8.45pm on Zoom. A gentle taster to Vinyasa Yoga with Jenny Carpenter, suitable for beginners as well as anyone who already practices yoga. Yoga is known to support physical, emotional and mental wellbeing. Free six week course follows the taster which is available to book now, running from Tuesday 16 June to Tuesday 21 July, 7.30 to 8.45pm. You can do the six week course without doing the taster, and vice versa.
- Mindfulness -‘why now?’: Thursday 11 June from 2 to 3.30pm on Zoom, a 90 minute supportive session for carers with Ali Gear and Susie MacKenzie . There will be an introduction, some guided practices and mindful movement (suitable for all). There will be an opportunity to discuss the mindfulness practice in a small group. NB: To ensure that you feel comfortable in the session, you do not need to have your camera switched on to take part.
- Carers Tea and Talk: Wednesday 17 June 2 to 3.15pm on Zoom. Chat with other carers and our staff following an introduction from our guest speaker, Rev’d Kate Bottley, who you may know from Gogglebox (Channel 4), Songs of Praise (BBC) and BBC Radio 2. Cream tea for two dropped to your door during the day by a local cake shop!
Find out more about national Carers Week on www.carersweek.org